Wednesday, July 06, 2005

It's 3 am and your mom is crazy

I guess mid-life crises are hitting earlier and earlier these days. Either that, or I'm going to live to the ripe old age of 44.
Slowly but surely I'm getting things done, and I've had to make an extremely conscious effort (but I believe it will turn into a routine soon, so I'm not complaining) to have Jesus time before I do anything in the morning, and after I do everything before I go to sleep. Because even when I can't seem to give up everything to God to take control of, I can at least remind myself to do it on a daily basis. Sometimes I need to be reminded of things. Hey, what can I say....I'm only me.

And now I'd like to talk about something near and dear to my heart. Syncopation. You heard me, friends. I LOVE syncopation. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it's when the upbeat gets the accent in a piece of music. Some classic examples are the line "so you can laugh all you want to" in Ben Folds' song Philosophy; that part in the bridge of Green Day's Church on Sunday; the high hat every other drum run in Wilco's I Am Trying to Break Your Heart; the song Jesus Christ Superstar depending on how you tap your foot....there's lots of it out there. Radiohead does it a lot, and so does Coldplay. Let's be honest, it's such a great thing that I'll bet most musicians know the trick. My favorite types of sycoptation aren't just when it occurs, however, but when you're listening to music while you're running and you actually have to do a stagger run because the beat changes. It's so great. I mean, if you're not careful you'll trip and fall, but with practice you can develop the skill to time it out.
Which brings me to my next point....golf.
Golf is a seemingly leisurely activity that slightly out of shape men play obsessively and watch through their eyelids better than any other televised or live activity known to man--including opera. I'm not kidding. My dad will be snoring in a chair with the golf channel on, and the second the channel changes he snorts awake with a muffled "hey! I was watching that!"
Anyway, so on Tuesdays I play on a golf league with a bunch of men and one other woman from my church. It's set up in match play, so you play best score per hole and there's like points for the person with the bigger handicap so it's a pretty fair match.
Now, here's a little background: I played for my highschool's golf team for 4 years, and I kinda floated by, keeping varsity rank but not really trying very hard. I didn't have a real drive (ha! drive!) to compete, and eh...whatever.
Okay, background check over. So, tonight I was playing Mrs. Bennett and I had to give her a stroke on every hole, and 2 on one. Which means if I wanted to beat her and she got a 6 on a hole, I'd have to par it because she gets that one stroke on me (which gives her a 5) and to beat that I have to get a 4. Which stinks, becasue I'm pretty good at bogey golf. So today I realized that I have become the comically ironic "competitive golfer." I smugly congratulated her good shots while in my head I was screaming "miss! miss! miss!" I hit every green (except for like 2 or 3) in regulation, but let's be honest--I'm awful at putting--so I struggled my way through a pretty decent round of 48. Pretty much a great score for me--but I left the course so frustrated because it wasn't good enough. So much for being a leisurely stroll with a stick in my hands and a ball at my feet.
Speaking of 48, my dad's 50th birthday is coming up. Which means my birthday is coming up. Which means Camp Indogan is coming up! I'll leave you all (and by you all I mean Ashley, Jared, Stephen and myself) with some fond memories of Camp Indogan.






Ahh, who could forget when the 'Yota reached her landmark 75000?
Sigh. Tear.


Or when these boys all stuffed pillows down their shirts and danced
to a Weird Al Yankovic song?






Or when this girl came to chapel withe the worse case of bedhead
known to man?





And banquet is the time where everyone puts on their
Sunday Best!




And we eat a good home-cooked meal fit for a camp full of kids!

Oh, Camp Indogan, how we love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The good news is that if you're going through your mid-life crisis now you can go out and buy a little red convertible.

Kari said...

okay, so I totally lied. My dad is only going to be 49.