Thursday, June 14, 2007

On Having, Giving, and Showing Respect

We have all been told that we are to show respect.
To our parents, our teachers, authority, among other things.
And we are told to give our respect to speakers, our leaders. . .
In fact, one might say that a good life motto might be to always be respectful.
It seems like a reasonable endeavor: to be full of respect, that we might give it when necessary and show it with our actions.
But what about just having respect?
If we are to be full of respect, where does it come from? Is it just there? Do we already possess it? If we give it, does it come from the overflow of have?
Think hard about the people you know. Is there anyone in there you just don't respect? Anyone who makes you roll your eyes when you think about him? I've got one or two. People who I just have no admiration for on any level. I have no respect for them and I don't know where to get it.
This is confusing to me because I give respect even when I don't have it, and I show it even when it's not there. So where does it come from, and how do I get it? Is faking having respect as good as showing respect? Or is it not really "real" respect?
I've got plenty of respect for many people--surely it carries over, right?
Am I required to have respect for everyone, or just to be respectful of everyone?
Maybe I should just stay away from those who I don't respect.
That's respectable, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it was so great to see you last weekend! And yes, you have my respect :)
Cindy