Thursday, October 25, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

Why is it that whenever we want to change something in our lives, we wait until the new year?
Or next week?
Or even "tomorrow morning"?
What is it in our nature that makes us feel like a new day brings a new chance? Is it just because they both have the word "new"?

I do this a lot. I do something (or don't do something) I wish I hadn't (or should have) done, and I say "it's okay. . .tomorrow is a new day." I'll do it tomorrow, and I won't mess it up next time.
It's always next time.
Next time it will be better.

And tonight, I was contemplating what I am going to do tomorrow (that I should have done today), and I realized that just because the sun is down, it doesn't mean I have to wait until it has to come back up. Why not NOW?
Anything I can't stop to do NOW, I'm pretty sure isn't important enough to wake up early to do tomorrow.

What am I waiting for? How much more fresh would a start be 8 hours premature!? Who needs a new day for a new resolution? Who needs a new YEAR? Do it NOW. Don't wait. Because the longer you wait, the longer the enemy has to delay your further. And we all know, if you didn't do it today; you're not going to do it tomorrow. Or next week.

I wonder how many times God told his people to not delay. . .and how many times it landed them in trouble when they didn't listen. . .

2 comments:

CHAMAN said...

un placer observarte

besos

Jim MacKenzie said...

"I wonder how many times God told his people to not delay. . ."

Here's one from Hebrews about encouraging one another... "You must encourage one another each day. And you must keep on while there is still a time that can be called "today." If you don't, then sin may fool some of you and make you stubborn. (Heb 3:13, CEV)

In most translations "today" is capitalized... hmmm... it may seem this is important.

Your post encouraged me, Kari... wait! I need to stop typing and go do somethi... ;)