Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Clocking in on Wednesdays

It is Halloween.
It is Wednesday.
Where is everyone in Oklahoma? At church.
Since when does going to church on a Wednesday become something that is completely un-miss able? When your options are trick-or-treat, or go to church--that's when.
Apparently it is not okay to miss church on Wednesday night for this tradition once a year. And I'm not okay with that.
I'm not okay with being measured to the plumbline of picking Halloween over God. I'm not okay with the fact that if I chose to stay home and hand out candy to the pagans (gasp!) I'm judged by it.
I'm not okay with the expectation of showing up to church on Wednesday nights for appearances sake. So people don't think I'm "falling away" or something dreadful because I chose to dress up like Batman and enjoy myself. On a Wednesday. Not at church.
I remember many occasions in my youth where the announcement would be made that church would be on Thursday this week instead of Wednesday. Sometimes because of things like Halloween.
Welcome to the Bible belt, Kari.
Nobody is any holier here, but they sure do pretend to be.

5 comments:

$teve said...

Thank you for supporting the Pagan cause!!! :)

Daves Place said...

I guess I never thought about Halloween as a "pagan" holiday. I just remember dressing up as a kid having fun with my friends, getting scared and getting candy. Today, I still decorate, give out candy, wear a mask, scare kids (:)) but never thought anything bad about it. I would not want to perpetuate anything "evil" but I guess I never thought about it in that way.

I'm sure your heart is in the right place (and are not picking Halloween over God) and you just want to have fun with the little kiddies, on the other hand I am sure the people at Church are just trying to do or say what they think is right also (I would not fall in the trap of becoming judgmental of them because you may be feeling judged :)).

Take care,

Dave

Cindy said...

Just thought you'd like to know that lcoc took Wed night off :)

We miss you up here! Come back and visit soon!

Blakewell said...

Some people actually like to go to church you know... :)

Danny B said...

I'm glad you dressed up like Batman