Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Don't you think it would be nice if you'd stop living life through your kids?

I really really don't understand why my mom just picks fights for no reason. And I really don't understand why she wakes up, gets out of bed, and comes downstairs just to do it. I guess it might make a little sense if it was about something like a messy room or not picking up after ourselves...but to wake up, stomp downstairs to yell at Drew for not telling her earlier that he forgot his colored pencils in his locker is a little unnecessary. Right?
I'm thinking...okay, so Drew's project isn't finished. He should have remembered his pencils so he could get it done early rather than finish it during class (which is designated for students to finish their projects, by the way). Maybe he should have been working on it earlier, so he could have found out earlier so maybe she could have gotten him more pencils? Is the principle she's trying to hang on to that he should have been working on it earlier? I guess that could make sense, but it hardly merits waking up, trudging downstairs and raising her voice. It's not her project anyway. It's his. If he doesn't get a good grade it's not a reflection on her--it's on him.
I guess I will never understand why it always seems to matter more to the parent than the student what the "grade" is. Parents don't seem to understand that it's not the grade that counts. It's the learning. If you slack and get a bad grade--suck it up. It's what you earned.
Parents get so caught up in whether or not their children will graduate with honors that many will even lie to get grades changed. I will say that students who want those honors will work for them. Effort doesn't go unnoticed. Unfortunately, forcing it upon your children doesn't make them want to try harder. And in many cases, when that success is acheived, the parents take the credit. I mean, it's great to have parents actively involved in their child's education, but seriously. Let your kids make their choices.
And for goodness sakes, don't feel like you've got to be in control so much that you wake up from sleep to go make sure your child realizes that You're the Parent.
We already know, thanks.
That's why we honor and obey even when you're not making sense.
We know.
You raised us well.
You don't have to remind us constantly that you're the boss while we sit and silently wait for you to finish.
That's why we take you shopping to get your input on clothes we wear.
That's why we smile and eat your meat loaf even though the very idea of a "meat loaf" is the most undesireable dish ever invented.
We love and respect you already.
We know you're older and wiser and have been through it all.
We know that you learned the hard way to not procrastinate.
We appreciate that you try very hard to not let us make similar mistakes that you did.
However, it's not going to keep us from making them.

I can't convince you that fried bologna with peanut butter is delicious, no matter how many times I've eaten and enjoyed it. You have to taste it for yourself or you'll never believe it.



In other news:

Go Pistons! :-D

Although I will say I get a little offended when they refer to Darko as the "Human Victory Cigar." That's unkind.

3 comments:

Jared Cramer said...

... the very idea of a "meat loaf" is the most undesireable dish ever invented.

AMEN!! I thought I was alone on that!

Kari said...

well, stephen...I'm the same height and my hair is brown, so maybe you were looking at Kali instead? We are sisters after all!

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I just wanted to say that all mothers pick fights for no reason. and sometimes if my mom is mad at my brother she will take it out on me. However, just know that no matter how hard we fight it, parents are going to be concerned about grades. In our household when I earned a C+ my parents were proud because I was in "Special Ed." But I started doing a lot better and when my brother earned the same grade or lower he got yelled at. It got to the point to where I was actually doing better than my brother and he did not even open a book and could earn any grade. So, I think it comes down to the fact that parents want us to do good in school so that we will do good in life. Does that make sense?
Amanda