Saturday, June 11, 2005

Drop it like it's hot. And if it's a pancake, pick it up quick!

Wouldn't want to waste a precious pancake.

In other news:

I had my first job interview today. I interviewed for a 2nd grade teaching position in an "at risk" school in a suburb of Oklahoma City. The principal explained to me that 100% of the population of the school lives in poverty, and that the lives that the kids live at home are things that I wouldn't even be able to dream up. (Doesn't sound like very plesant dreams, nonetheless.) So the biggest part of me is so excited. I want to be a teacher to teach children. I want them to learn not just school things, but how to be good people in the world. I want them to want to come to school, and love reading and love math, and have adults in their lives that they can trust. I want them to have a teacher who isn't in it for the summer vacation--because that's not fair.
And then the logical part of me knows that I've grown up in upper-middle-class white suburbia, where the schools are all wealty. The schools are wealthy and the teachers still didn't always want to be there. What makes me think that when I have to spend hundreds of dollars on my own teaching materials, have 2nd graders calling me bad words all day and most significantly leave my comfort zone that I'll actually love my job enough to keep going back to it? I want to love my job soo much. That's why I want to teach. Because it's something that I could see myself doing every day until I'm like 70. I think there's a little part of me that is afraid that if I teach in a school where children are poorly behaved that I won't want to do it forever.
But the bigger part of me knows that God gave me this borderline-annoying enthusiasm because he needed me to use it. So I guess now we just sit back and wait for the decision--and hopefully more offers just in case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kari,
Its Amanda....I am going to tell you something that my mom told me. She went into Special Education because she loved the challenge. Also, when she taught regular education she hated it because the children that could do the work did not try and she found herself working more with the special ed students. I know it is a different situation but maybe you will enjoy the challenge and learn that yes it is out of your comfort zone but remember that God takes us out of our comfort zones to teach us lessons. It will be hard if you get the position and decide to work in this situation but remember God does not give us anything that HE knows we cannot handle. I hope this helps you and I am not speaking out of turn. God Bless.
Love,
Amanda Mc.

Kari said...

Thanks, Amanda.